No amount of science is going to sufficiently explain how humans have evolved to be such intricately detailed creatures. The human body works in mysterious ways. Every single second of every single day, your body is undergoing several reactions and chemical mechanisms in order to make sure that you not only stay alive, but have perception of the world you’re living in.
Appreciate your body and read on to discover 12 amazing things the human body can do.
1. Did you know that your eyes can actually predict the weather? When your body gets too cold, hypothermia kicks in. Hypothermia is when your blood vessels constrict to save your energy. In really cold weather, those vessels in your eyes will get smaller as a physiological response, and you can actually go blind for a while.
2. You can actually hear a lot better if you turn your left ear towards the person talking. This is what some people unofficially call “super hearing.”
3. Heartburn is more common than you think. However, there’s ways of curing it other than medication. You can actually resolve heart burn problems by sleeping on your left side. Research has demonstrated that this position helps relieve your body from suffering from an acidic stomach. Sleeping on your left side allows gravity to keep your stomach away from your throat.
4. All humans are actually subject to shredding. Skin dries and dead skin cells need to come off. It’s important to apply lotion in order to allow the proper removal and prevent any damage to the first layer of your skin.
5. Ever had that feeling of adrenaline rush through you? That’s actually your body reacting to a stimuli in many different ways. When your nervous system kicks in, your body stops devoting energy to your digestive system and allocates that energy to increasing your heart rate and respiration, as well as dilating your pupils, all so your muscles can contract with greater force.
6. Here’s another case of your body predicting the weather. In extremely cold weather, when the atmospheric drops, you will feel pressure and pain in your joints. Additionally, changes in temperature, upon causing chemical imbalances, can induce migraines.
7. Your pupils can actually give away your true feelings. Research has shown that your pupils actually dilate when you set your sight on someone you have feelings for. You can thank your sympathetic nervous system for that giveaway.
8. You can actually reduce your feel of pain by coughing. So next time you’re due for a shot, coughing can decrease the pain stimuli to your brain allowing you to feel less pain.
9. Want to get rid of nasal congestion and quick? Press your thumb to the roof of your mouth or in between your eyebrows. The pressure will allow your movement of your nose, inducing the loosening of your nasal passages.
10. You can actually relieve a tooth ache by rubbing ice between your thumb and index finger. This is because it stimulates the neural pathway found in the V location of your hand that blocks pain from going to your face.
11. Next time you get extremely scared and want to bring down your heart rate, blow on your thumb. This works because there is a nerve that controls heartbeat that is actually controlled by breathing.
12. Your sense of smell is actually linked to memory because the part of the brain that is responsible for smell is shared with the part of the brain that is responsible for memory and emotions.